Skip to main content

Day 2 of 24 (2021)

Day 2 of 24

Today's Passage: Luke 2

Author: Andy Khoo


Perfect Timing

About 18 yrs ago, we had our first child. But little did we know that he would be born prematurely in Dec.  We did not see it coming, the OBGYN and our timing are surely off.  

I am not sure how Mary & Joseph felt on their journey to Bethlehem, the city called the “House of Bread”, travelling by foot over rugged roads with the aid of a donkey over 5 days expecting their first child.  I can only imagine Baby Jesus, the Son of God could have been born in the best hotel in Bethlehem but in the lowest and dirtiest place called manger as all human rooms were fully occupied.  The timing of the census led them back to the hometown of David.  Bethlehem, Jesus birth place, and He would be born not in the prestigious Northside Hospital but in a feeding trough in a manger.  For we know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for our sake He became poor, so that we through his poverty might become rich. (2 Cor. 8:9)  

Almost 2 yrs since Covid spread around the world, I discovered that time after time, my timing was way off.  At times when I thought I was right, the timing was off and my prayer ended in “No”. And when I felt so hopeless that when God is all I have, my eyes are then opened to God is all I need. Even though worldly desires and sorrows do not go away, they diminish in light of the thought and the Joy of having an eternal life with a Savior who loves me so much!  A wise man once said if you are smart, you can say what will happen but definitely do not say when it will happen.  God will come through for us at the perfect time as God has planned. Only God can get both right as we have read in the bible.  As our God we know is omniscience (all-knowing), omnipotence (all-powerful), and omnibenevolence (supremely good).  The perfect timing can only be attributed to Him.  

Actively Waiting

We all are waiting.  Waiting for the things we hope for in life to happen, to come true.  Two persons in Luke 2, were waiting….. Waiting for a person of great significance.  In their old age, they were actively waiting for their entire life.  

Simeon, a devout and righteous man being told by the Holy Spirit that he would see the Messiah before his death; and he had been actively waiting.  

Anna, a prophetess, never left the temple, she worshiped night and day, fasting  and praying and at that very hour when Jesus was at the temple, she began to give thanks to God and she spoke of the coming Jesus the redeemer; and she had been actively waiting.  

 We should ask ourself: What are we actively waiting for?  What are we looking forward to?  Our promotion, our first million $, our kid’s final graduation from college, our children's wedding day, our retirement, our first grandkids and many more! 

May we be like Simeon and Anna, Actively Waiting for the most important, imperishable, holy, sacred, promised second coming of Christ, not wasting a day, using each day to seek and do the will of God.  Because in just a little while, He who is coming will come and will not delay.   

“You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. For, ‘In just a little while, he who is coming will come and will not delay.'"

Hebrews 10:36-37 (NIV)

----
Were you encouraged by today's passage or the devotional? What stood out to you as you read the chapter and devotional? What did the author say that resonated with you? Please leave a comment below to encourage other readers too! 

Comments

  1. Thank you, Andy, for the encouragement. I love what you said:

    "And when I felt so hopeless that when God is all I have, my eyes are then opened to God is all I need. Even though worldly desires and sorrows do not go away, they diminish in light of the thought and the Joy of having an eternal life with a Savior who loves me so much!"

    When I refocus my gaze on Jesus, everything else seems small (reminded me of a worship song).

    It's a good reminder for me as I "actively wait" for the Lord that I'll keep on praying, trusting, and obeying his words.

    Thank you, Andy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment