Skip to main content

We're Getting a House!! (part 2)

 This is such a crazy market. No, we have not yet found a house that is fitting for us. In our house hunt, we are slowly realizing that this may take a while. In the mean time, we are switching gears and preparing for it. This experience has taught us a few things:

  1. We don't need a lot of the stuff we have. Over the years, we've accumulated so much junk. A lot of it is, "I better hold on to this just in case we need it later." I threw out a lot of outdated cables. 
  2. I'm scared to buy more stuff. I need a new desk, but how badly do I need this new desk? Do I spend a little money to get a cheapo one only to throw it out later? Or do I get a good one that is fitting and then have to deal with moving it to the new house later? Perhaps I can just settle and make do with using the dining table for now and put up with the inconvenience. 
  3. Delayed gardening. All my peppers currently are growing in red Solo Cups. None of them are put in the ground. What if we move in a month? I'd have to uproot the plant and cause damage. I might as well grow them in small containers so I can either toss them or bring it. 
  4. Scaling back. Do I really want to grow as many plants as I did in the previous years? Do I really want to get all the good deals out there for grill accessories? 
  5. Saving up. All the money I spend now should be saved up so I can really "splurge" when we get the new house. New furniture, grill toys, plant stuff, outdoor patio, new desk.... at the new house. 
This has helped me understand Matthew 6:
19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

 Our mentality in our current home is that it is only temporary. Strangely, we don't know how long "temporary" is for us. It could be a month, or it could be years!! Either way, we are to think in terms of moving out. We set our hope and eyes on to our new place. 

That "moving out" mentality needs to take root in the heart of believers. This earth is temporary. What's different from this passage and our situation is that right now, as you're reading this, our Builder (Christ) is actively working on preparing a place for us (see last week's post). We already have a Home that we're going to. If we're "moving out" soon, then why store up treasures on earth? Why pour more money into this "home" when we're going to throw everything out when we "move"? Right now, if we had closed on a house, I would start buying furniture and have it shipped to the new address! 

It would make zero sense to ship it to my old address! 

Likewise, Christ calls His citizens to store up our treasures in the new country. 

This calls for us to scale back on earthly riches and "save up" for our forever home-- literally-- Forever Home. 

Comments