Skip to main content

Tight Grip

Psalm 89:13-18

13 You have a mighty arm;

    strong is your hand, high your right hand.

14 Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne;

    steadfast love and faithfulness go before you.

The whole psalm is one of great praise. If you read the whole thing, you would have thought they wrote it after they won a battle. However, it is written when they were being harassed by the enemy. 

46 How long, O Lord? Will you hide yourself forever?

    How long will your wrath burn like fire?

47 Remember how short my time is!

Doesn't this year feel like that? Haven't we heard society and church members alike ask, "Where is God in the middle of this pandemic?" Doesn't it feel like our time is short since we're bombarded with bad news everyday? When we ask the wrong question, we get the wrong answer. The question isn't, "Where is God..."

We should ask, "How did Israel respond in moments of trial, suffering, and persecution? 

I encourage you to go back and read the psalm. Yes, I know it is a long one. As you read it, I want you to start looking at the responses of Israel. How did they view God? What gave them such assurance? Why are they so certain of victory even while they are being pursued by the enemy?

I'll give you a short hint here. It lies in verse 3 and 4:

You have said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one;

    I have sworn to David my servant:

4 ‘I will establish your offspring forever,

    and build your throne for all generations.’” 

They know God will keep His covenant. In their mind, it was with King David. We know later that the ultimate King who will sit on the throne forever is Jesus. In the middle of turmoil and chaos, we know that God will not-- and cannot-- fail. 

Attached is a pic of Theo. Grandpa put him on his shoulder, and Theo likes to lean backwards. Is it dangerous? Yes. Falling from that height can cause head injuries and maybe spinal injuries. Does Theo see it that way? No. He hangs freely because he is confident in the one holding him. It is because of this confidence that brings him joy while serious harm is just a few feet away. It is the tight grip of grandpa that makes hanging upside down enjoyable. 



Does your world feel upside down? As you look below you, do you feel afraid? Verse 13 of this psalm reminds us that God has a strong arm. He is still in the process of fulfilling His covenant to establish the reign and rule of Jesus. I'm not asking you to "trust the process." I'm reminding you to trust in the One who has complete control. 

I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.
-Jesus

(John 10:28)

Comments