Skip to main content

Can't Get Enough

 Exodus 33:17-19 (ESV)

17 And the Lord said to Moses, “This very thing that you have spoken I will do, for you have found favor in my sight, and I know you by name.” 18 Moses said, “Please show me your glory.” 19 And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The Lord.’ And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.


Rachel and I finally got a chance to go out on a date with just the two of us (no kids!). It's Chicago, which means there are lots of good eatery around here. (By the way, do you and your spouse still go on dates? I encourage you to!) We narrowed it down barbecue. Smoked pork belly, smoked wings, and smoke pastrami was on the menu with a side of elote. Fabulous dinner!

"But, wait. Can't you just smoke this stuff at home?"

Yes. Especially the wings-- I've smoked it countless times. Why did we picked smoked food then? My wise wife said it best, "I like going out because there's always something new to learn and draw inspiration from." 

I love that attitude (I married good!). Even though I've smoked a wide array of meat before, there is still always something new to learn, something new to take back. What limits me from being the best pitmaster I can be is none other than myself. Here's the keyword for today: complacent. It's the idea that "What I already know is good enough." 

Not Moses. Today's passage leads up to the event where God hides Moses in a rock as He passes by. Go back and read the rest of the chapter! Think about everything that has led up to this moment at the foot of the mountain. Moses already saw God deliver them from the plagues of Egypt. Moses witnessed God split the Red sea for them to cross. Can you think of other displays of God's might that Moses has seen up to this point?

Yet he was not complacent. After having seen all of this, he makes a brave request to God, "Show me Your glory." It's not like Moses hasn't seen it before though! He didn't know what God would show him. He knew one thing though: he wanted more of God. He didn't ask for it to build faith or needed encouragement. He asked for it because he truly desired to know more of God. 

How many times have we said, "Yeah, I've studied this passage before" and tune out the passage/sermon/lesson? It's an arrogant posture that thinks there probably isn't something new you can learn. As a disciple of Jesus, we must maintain a posture of humility and eagerness to learn. We must have that attitude of "there's always something new to learn and draw inspiration from." 

Remember: what limits you from being a mature Christian isn't bad pastors/teachers. It isn't even the devil. What hinders you from growing is you and complacency we have in thinking that we know is "good enough." It is alarming when a believer says, "Yeah, I could probably benefit from growing, but [insert excuse]." 

May we approach the foot of the cross like Moses approached the foot of the mountain in asking God, "Please, show me Your glory." 


Comments