Skip to main content

A Cracker of Death

On Tuesday, July 28th, 2020, my two-year-old Mischa told her first lie. Here's what happened:

I walked into my parents room because Mischa tends to hang out there often. This time she had a cracker in her hand-- one that I didn't give her. I asked her where she got it and she smiled saying, "Grandpa gave it to me!" Oh, okay. Cool.

Grandpa spoke up and said, "Wait. I told you to go ask daddy if it's okay... you told me he said yes." 
Mischa's head hung low, eyes drooped, and said "...yeah." We clarified it to her that she was supposed to ask, but did not, and then lied to grandpa saying that I gave permission. 

You can finish the rest of your cracker and then you're going straight to Time Out. 

Her eyes watered, lips quivered, and she began to cry. Suddenly, that cracker was no longer delicious. She spat some of it out in remorse. 

I often think of James 1:14-15
14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

Sin doesn't start off as ugly. It starts off looking innocent. For my daughter, it was an "innocent" sin. No one was hurt. Had we not caught it, there would not have been any damage or consequences. 

It fascinates me that the world views children lying as a sign of higher intelligence. It goes to show that sin is rooted deep. According to the article, children's lies are terrible at age two, but "lie well" at age 6-7. That means that even though I caught her this time, all I did was teach her that this was the wrong way to lie. She will have to get creative and change up her strategy next time. 

 I take little moments like these to teach her theology. Her view of God is mirrored in me. I hope she saw that the joy and approval of her father is greater than the reward of sin. Although it was enjoyable for the time, the glory and luster dimmed as soon as her father reminded her of the wrath to come. Oh, kiddo. May you understand that about sin. It may be fun while it lasts, but there is a dire consequence to pay when the Father returns. 

May we be like her in spitting out that sin in remorse. May sin be unappetizing and unappealing when we look upon the face of God and remember the wrath to come. 

But it wasn't just a bad day for her. It was a bad day for me as well. No matter what method I use to discipline her, I cannot discipline the sin nature out of her. I can teach her all of God's laws and teach her all of His expectations... but she can never meet it all. She can never keep it all. I cannot catch ever sin she commits, rebuke it, and actually cause lasting change in her. Like last week's post, I desire control-- and I cannot control her sin. It is deep in her now and when it is "fully grown," it is going to put her in an eternal "Time Out" called Death. 

Thus, my prayer is not for her to "be good" and "don't lie." My prayer with her that night was out of desperation: Oh God, only You can save. Jesus, take on the Father's wrath on her behalf so that she may be pardoned. 

1 Corinthians 15:45 
Thus it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 

My daughter doesn't need to be fixed/disciplined. She needs to be born again under the lineage of the Last Adam. 

Comments