Skip to main content

God didn't pick you....

It is quite intimidating to think about how Jesus entrusted us humans to proclaim the Gospel to the whole world. The task of making disciples of all nations is daunting. 

Matthew 28:16-20
16 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

This passage is known as the the "Great Commission." Actually, just verses 18-20 are memorized and preached. We often miss verses 16-17 though. There are two key characteristics that we see in those two short verses:

  1. They went to the mountain that Jesus had directed them. This shows that they were obedient. Their allegiance to Jesus was more than just prayer and worship. They demonstrated it through following His command and going as He had directed them. 
  2. They worshiped Him, but some doubted. It is easy to applaud the ones who worship and frown upon the ones who doubted. However, I applaud and deeply admire the ones who doubted. Why? Because even though they doubted they still went to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them." 
This is a mixed group on the mountain. All of them believers, but some doubted. This tells me that when Jesus sent them to make disciples of all nations, He knew who was there. God didn't pick you because you are perfect. He picked you despite your imperfections. What great relief! 

It amazes me that as He commissioned them, He commissioned even the ones who had doubts. 
This means a few things for believers:
  • I don't have to have all the answers.
  • God didn't pick me because I'm somehow better. 
  • Obedience matters deeply to God. 
  • My doubts about Him/ministry does not scare Him. He is aware of it. 
I would say that one of the greatest barriers to discipleship today is this idea that we have to have it all together before we disciple someone else. "Who? Me? Ha. I dunno. I still have a lot of growing to do. Maybe I should sit under someone instead of discipling" (as if they were somehow mutually exclusive). 

Pastor David Mathis captures it when he said, "Don't talk yourself out of disciple-making because you're aware of how imperfect a disciple you are. When we are weak, God is strong, especially in discipling." 

Maybe it was their doubts that caused Jesus to say, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me." His authority and power is more than able to compensate for my weakness and flaws as I learn what it means to lead my family and my church. 

Comments

  1. And is the actual ending of Mark's Gospel ". . . for they were afraid?" Still not sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment