Skip to main content

Ravi Zacharias. 1946-2020.



Growing up as a teenager, I believed, but doubted. I wanted to know for a fact that Jesus and all of this was real but felt it was just too good to be true. I just had "blind faith" and hoped it was all real even though I had some serious doubts of the claims. But at some point in high school, I knew that was a childish approach. During one of our Winter Retreats, our cabin leader talked about some points on how to defend the faith. I remember asking him, "How do I research more?" He said, "Look into 'apologetics.'" Never having heard that word, I jotted it down in my journal: "Apalagetix." 


Our pastor introduced us to a book called, "Jesus Among Other Gods (Youth Edition)." It was there that my skeptical heart found peace. Are you questioning? Doubting? I encourage you to doubt those doubts and seek answers. Do not settle for what you think is right or what society tells you is right. Ask the hard questions, then seek out the answers with fervency. Please reach out and let me know if I may be of resource. 

The following is from my personal Facebook:

Sept. 24, 2009. Ravi came and spoke in Chapel addressing those of us who would go on to be future pastors and leaders in the church. I sat there with a daunting question eating away at me as he spoke:

"What if this old fool was wrong? What if, when he dies, he realizes there was no God and his whole life was a waste? What if I'm just as big of an idiot and throwing away my life by telling people about Jesus?"

Thanks to Ravi, today, my heart sheepishly whispers that same question but emphatically raises another:

"What if he's right? What if I'm a big idiot for not doing more with my life in telling people about Jesus?"

My skeptical heart wishes Ravi could be resuscitated so I can ask him what's on the other side of death.

Oh, Skeptical Heart, you're wishing to speak to the wrong teacher. Ask the Teacher who died and resurrected and He will tell you of what's on the other side-- it is not in vain (1 Corinthians 15:14).

"Even as he returned home from the hospital in Texas, where he had been undergoing chemotherapy, Zacharias was sharing the hope of Jesus to the three nurses who tucked him into his transport."

Freaking legendary. That's how I want to exit: telling people of the certainty that is on the other side while being on this side. Rest in Power, Mr. Zacharias. Enter into the joy of your Master.

Comments