Skip to main content

Tired

Oh boy, I'm tired. Aren't you tired?

Tired of:

  • bad news
  • contradictions among experts
  • missing out on life-moments (birthdays, graduations, summer trips...)
  • cooking 3 meals a day
  • meetings and more meetings
  • trying to take care of everyone in the house
...and the list seems endless. In talking to many friends, it seems like this season is busier than ever. Yes, you may be working from home, but it isn't as relaxing as you had imagined. Your days have started to blend. Your motivation has dropped. A friend described this season as being "busier than ever, but boring and it all feels so meaningless. " 

Let me invite you back to Scripture, a passage so familiar we often don't even think about what it is saying:

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
    He restores my soul.

He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.

This is so different from what many of us are experiencing. This is, afterall, corporate America: those who strive and work hard are the ones who succeed! If we were to write it, it may read something like this:

"I don't need a shepherd. I know what I want. 
I don't have time to lie down.
I don't need water, I need coffee. 
I forge my own paths for my retirement's sake."

Lying down beside green pastures and hanging out by cool, still waters is luxury. We say things like, "I can't afford to rest." or "I feel guilty if I take a break." We have too many things to juggle: work. family. ministry. social media. 

But oh, friend, maybe that's why we are so tired. We refuse to be led. For, "if Jesus were to lead, it would probably mean work, work, and more work" someone said. That's how all your other bosses have led. We have forgotten that Jesus's "management" style is nothing like that of the world. 

Mark 6:30-31

30 The apostles returned to Jesus and told him all that they had done and taught. 31 And he said to them, “Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while.” For many were coming and going, and they had no leisure even to eat.

He is the Good Shepherd. He invites His disciples to a quiet place to rest and restores their souls. Resting is a HOLY act. Remember what God did on the 7th day? He rested. If GOD rests, why do we think we have to keep going 24/7 without a break? Yet we act surprised when we hear about all the mental health issues we have a society. We were never designed to work endlessly. 

"But Pastor Sam, if I don't do XYZ, then there are consequences!" Those who are echoing that, let me ask you, "Who is at the center of that statement?" I. But when we read Psalm 23, who is at the center of that situation? He
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.

When we follow the Good Shepherd, He leads us to rest. We know this because that's what He did with the disciples. They didn't have the leisure to even eat! So what does He do? 
He feeds them. 
In fact, He feeds the whole crowd of 5,000 (not including counting every family member) with only 5 loaves and 2 fish. You know this story. But let me highlight one more verse:

Mark 6:39
Then he commanded them all to sit down in groups on the green grass.

Psalm 23:2
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.

Go off to a quiet place with your Master, your Shepherd, and rest.

Comments